Data from the DESI (Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument) Legacy Imaging Surveys have revealed over 1200 new gravitational lenses, approximately doubling the number of known lenses. Discovered using machine learning trained on real data, these warped and stretched images of distant galaxies provide astronomers with a flood of new targets with which to measure fundamental properties of the Universe such as the Hubble constant, which describes the expanding Universe.
- Scientists reveal mechanism that causes irritable bowel syndrome
- One small alcoholic drink a day is linked to an increased risk of atrial fibrillation
- Overactive food quality control system triggers food allergies, scientists say
- Not as simple as thought: How bacteria form membrane vesicles
- Model analyzes how viruses escape the immune system