New time-lapse videos capture something that’s too slow for our eyes to see: the growing tips of plant roots make corkscrew-like motions, waggling and winding in a helical path as they burrow into the soil. By using time-lapse footage, along with a root-like robot to test ideas, researchers have gained new insights into how and why rice root tips twirl as they grow.
- DNA extracted from modern, ancient and fossil tropical shells
- Spintronics: New production method makes crystalline microstructures universally usable
- Researchers challenge the Conservation Reserve Program status quo to mitigate fossil fuels
- Kittens could hold key to understanding deadly diarrheal disease in children
- Like wine, environmental conditions impact flavor of whiskey, study finds